Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The C-Team

Creature Commandos

My52's first re-boot!

Okay, not a re-boot per se, but definitely a status quo change inspired by some further thoughts on my Agents of SHADE pitch.  At the time, the concept was wholly inspired by the New52 series 'Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos' which I thought was a brilliant concept and decided to keep in play. I struggled for a bit on how to differentiate SHADE from the other government super-agencies, like the Suicide Squad or the Department of Metahuman Affairs, and honestly don't think I really nailed it on that front.

But inspiration struck last night which leads to the first major shake-up in one of my My52 titles. Somehow, the inspiration came from seeing the 'A Team'. When the opening monologue starts up with "a crack commando unit..." my mind went 'DING,' and I realized what the Creature Commandos were missing. As well as SHADE.

Imagine Face as the vampire, Murdock as the werewolf, and
BA as Frankenstein.  It writes itself.
Here's how the story goes down:

After working for SHADE for X number of issues, the team learns from a mysterious source that the organization's mission isn't just the policing of the paranormal, but the elimination of it. The Commandos themselves are just one more inhuman group to be exterminated, but only after they've been used as much as possible. The team, of course, is furious and breaks ties with SHADE, going on the run from the organization while still traveling the world saving people from the horrors that are still out there.

Now all those SHADE resources I mentioned before, like the War Wheel and G.I. Robots, are being used to track down the Commandos. The identity of their unknown benefactor starts as a mystery, with some  assumptions that it's the Bride, but when it's revealed that she's still loyal to SHADE, and the lead agent in hunting the Commandos, the team discovers they're actually being helped by SHADE's undercover operative, the Unknown Soldier.

And we get both an Invisible Man character for the
Commandos AND a role for George Peppard.


No comments:

Post a Comment